28 janvier 2017 - Emeran ATANGANA ETEME
Cameroon: DECISION No. 0033/D/MSP/CAB OF 3 MARCH 2005 TO SET UP, ORGANIZE AND OPERATE THE MOBILE HYGIENE HEALTH LABORATORY
DECISION No. 0033/D/MSP/CAB OF 3 MARCH 2005 TO SET UP,
ORGANIZE AND OPERATE THE MOBILE HYGIENE HEALTH LABORATORY
THE MINISTER OF PUBLIC HEALTH,
Mindful of the Constitution;
Mindful of Decree No. 96/03 of 4 January 1996 on a framework law in the field of
Mindful of Decree No. 2004/320 of 8 December 2004 organizing the Government;
Mindful of Decree No. 2001/145 of 3 July 2001 on the special status of civil servants of
the public health corps;
Mindful of Decree No. 2002/209 of 19 August 2002 organizing the Ministry of Public
Mindful of Decree No. 2004/322 of 8 December 2004 forming the Government;
Mindful of service needs.
HEREBY DECIDES AS FOLLOWS:
1. This Decision concerns the setting up, organization and functioning of the Mobile Hygiene Health Laboratory, abbreviated “MHHL” mentioned above.
- 2. MHHL shall be a specialized and operational research body under the Ministry of Public Health, and placed with the Division of Operations Health Research.
- 3. MHHL shall be a multidisciplinary centre that aims to conduct research on the prevention and treatment of tropical diseases and on public health systems. As such, it shall conduct the following activities, under the coordination and supervision of the Division of Health Operations Research:
- a) Research on prevention of tropical diseases, notably as regards:
1) testing new preventions;
2) prevention tools such as methods of counselling for behaviour change and methods of promotion of screening for tropical diseases;
3) Behavioural and social studies;
- b) Operations research on the control of infectious diseases, chronic diseases, reproductive health and health promotion:
1) studies on the implementation of various modalities of drug and psychosocial treatments;
2) studies on the diagnosis, treatment and prophylaxis of infections;
3) studies on nutrition and diet.
- c) Research on health system.
ORGANIZATION AND FUNCTIONING
- 4. MHHL shall have two (2) bodies, namely:
- the Administrator;
- the Scientific and Ethics Board
- 5. The Administrator shall be responsible for the administration and management of the MHHL. As such, he shall:
- ensure the administrative and financial management of MHHL;
- prepare the budget, financial statements and annual reports;
- prepare releases and provide secretarial duties for the Scientific Board;
- address MHHL activity reports to the Division of Operations Health Research, to be transmitted to the Minister of Public Health;
- initiate MHHL action plans;
- receive donations and bequests;
- represent MHHL in civil and legal affairs subject to the prerogatives of the Legal Affairs and Litigation Division;
- recruit and dismiss support staff.
- 6. (1) The Administrator shall be appointed by the Minister of Public Health, among Cameroonian personalities, holders of a PhD in Bio Medical and/or Social Sciences, with proven experience in the field of tropical diseases.
(2) The term of his office shall be three (3) years renewable once.
(3) His functions shall be terminated by death, resignation or dismissal declared by the Minister of Public Health, in case of serious offence of management or conduct likely to endanger the smooth running of MHHL.
- 7. (1) In carrying out his duties, the Administrator shall have a civil servant and contract staff.
(2) Besides, he shall also have:
- a General Affairs Section comprising:
* an administrative and financial unit;
* an accounting unit;
* a logistics unit (parking, animal, maintenance …);
* a documentation and information unit;
* a training unit.
- A Technical Section comprising:
* an Immunology & Heamatology Laboratory;
* a Microbiology &Virology Laboratory;
* a Biochemistry & Pharmacology Laboratory;
* a Clinical Research Unit.
SCIENTIFIC AND ETHNICS BOARD
- 8. The Scientific and Ethics Board shall:
- approve MHHL’s research programmes;
- validate research protocols on the methodological, ethical and legal plans;
- evaluate MHHL’s research activities;
- ensure that aspects relating to fundamental rights of the human person shall be taken into account and safeguarded before, during, and after research.
- 9. (1) The Science and Ethics Board shall be composed as follows:
- three (3) members appointed by the partners;
- four (4) members appointed by the Minister of Public Health;
- three (3) members representing the community selected from patients’ associations,
religious denominations and legal professions.
(2) The term of office of members of the Scientific and Ethics Board shall be three (3) years renewable twice.
- 10. (1) The Scientific and Ethics Board shall meet three times a year in ordinary session.
However, it may meet in extraordinary session for urgent and exceptional issues.
(2) The Scientific and Ethics Board shall submit its progress reports to:
- the Administrator;
- the Department of Health Operations Research;
- the Ethics Committee;
- the promoter of the research project.
- 11. The Scientific and Ethics Board shall set its own rules of operation within the framework of the rules and regulations subject to the approval of the Minister of Public Health.
- 12. (1) MHHL’s resources shall come from:
– the State budget;
– the budget from various research projects;
– contributions from internal and external partners;
– donations and bequests.
- 13. The Administrator shall be the authorizing officer of MHHL’s operation budget. As such, he shall open accounts in banks approved by the monetary authority and inform the Minister of Public Health thereof.
MANAGEMENT FOLLOW-UP AND CONTROL
- 14. The overall monitoring of the management of MHHL shall be ensured by the Minister of Public Health. As such, he shall receive communication about all documents and information relating to the functioning of the laboratory, including progress reports and financial statements.
- (1) MHHL shall be audited by an auditor hired through invitation to tender launched by the Ministry of Public Health for a two-year term.
(2) Independent audits on the management of MHHL may be ordered by the Minister of Public Health.
MISCELLANEOUS AND FINAL PROVISIONS
- 16. The duties of members of the Science and Ethics Board shall be honorary. However, members may receive session perdiem whose amount shall be fixed by the Minister of Public Health.
- 17. Property from the public and private domain of the State transferred to MHHL shall keep their original status.
- 18. Contracts awarded by the MHHL shall be public contracts. As such, they shall fall under the regulations in force.
- 19. This Decision shall be recorded, published and communicated wherever necessary.
Yaounde, 3 March 2005
Urbain Olanguena Awono
Minister of Public Health